Sunday, November 21, 2010

Trois Gymnopedies

I was listening to my new collection of classical music and heard a familiar tune. When I looked for the title, the song was called Trois Gymnopedies. I had to laugh when I deciphered the Greek into English: "three naked children." Now you can laugh too.

Here are the piano pieces if you care to listen:

http://www.pianosociety.com/cms/index.php?section=151

2 comments:

  1. Was that the music collection from Amazon? I hate to say it, but they all sound the same. Which, after reading up on it, was Satie's intent. I thought the naked children thing was a bit sick, but it refers more to the naked youths of Greece performing their war dances and sports.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are all three very similar, only with slight differences in mood: one slow and painful, one slow and sad, one slow and tragic.

    Yes, I got my music from amazon. I purchased the dark, relaxing, piano, and Christmas collections. Thanks for calling attention to them.

    ReplyDelete