The Business of Being Born. Ever heard of it? I highly recommend this movie. It brings together stories, interviews, and statistics of home-birth versus hospital births. I have had a lot of conversations with friends and acquaintances on this subject, and I have seen that most couples are afraid of having their babies at home because "it's dangerous". Did you know that among other developed countries, the USA has the lowest percentage of home-births but has a higher mother and infant mortality rate than most?
This movie touches on aspects of the history of anti-midwifery, showing it's resemblances to the US anti-cannabis campaigns in it's use of lies, fear tactics and most of all in the motivations that backed them.
You can thank the hippies for saving midwifery in the USA. Keep up the good work, all you midwives and mothers out there!
Bethany and I thank you. It's what we always said. So apparently you're a cannabis fan too? Please fix the spelling on the title of your last post, it's bothering me.
ReplyDeleteNice catch. I looked at that name many times and did not notice the misspelling. As for cannabis, I not really a fan; I just don't like that so many lies have been told about it historically and that so much suffering is caused over its legal status.
ReplyDeleteNone of the info from the video was news to me either, but reminded me to share it with others.
ReplyDelete